STEPANAKERT — At least one Azerbaijani soldier was wounded on Thursday in what Nagorno-Karabakh’s army said was a botched incursion into its positions northeast of the disputed territory.
The Trend news agency quoted an Azerbaijani Defense Ministry spokesman as saying that the 20-year-old soldier, Vusal Bilalov, was shot and hospitalized after a ceasefire violation by Armenian forces. The official, Teymur Abdullayev, gave no further details, saying only that the incident occurred in the morning.
Karabakh’s Defense Army, meanwhile, said in a statement that an Azerbaijani commando unit attacked its frontline positions in the area early on Monday. “Meeting with a tough response from the Defense Army, the enemy’s special forces fled the scene,” it said, adding that Karabakh Armenian forces suffered no casualties.
The area has for years been the most volatile section of the Armenian-Azerbaijani “line of contact” around Karabakh. More than a dozen soldiers from both sides were killed in there last year in skirmishes blamed by the warring sides on each other.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sign Up for Our Newsletters

Get notified of the latest updates from MassisPost.

You May Also Like

“A House in the Homeland: Armenian Pilgrimages to Places of Ancestral Memory” by Dr. Carel Bertram

FRESNO — Dr. Carel Bertram will present an in-person lecture entitled “A…

Successful Steps in Armenia’s Foreign Policy

Last week, the United States and Armenia reaffirmed their commitment to strengthening…

Fresh Russian Arms Supplies to Armenia ‘In Progress’

YEREVAN (RFE/RL) — Russia has begun supplying Armenia with new weapons in…

Spacebridge with Armenian Peacekeepers in Afghanistan

YEREVAN — A spacebridge between Armenian peacekeepers on mission in Afghanistan and…