LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Affiliate of the Armenian International Women’s Association (AIWA) is proud to announce that applications are now being accepted for the Hasmik Mgrdichian Scholarships. The Hasmik Mgrdichian Scholarships were established in 2011 to annually award scholarships to female university students. Thanks to the continued generosity of Hasmik Mgrdichian each year $5,000 is awarded to five students. Applications are now available on line.
- Female California Resident of Armenian Descent
- Financial verification (First 2 pages of 2018 income tax returns. If not available, please provide first 2 pages of 2017 tax returns.)
- Full-time Student
- Accredited University/College
- Sophomore, Junior or Senior Status or Graduate Student (2019-2020 Year)
- 2 Minimum GPA
- Certified Copy of University/College Transcripts
- Two letters of Recommendation
- One from an Academic Instructor/Advisor
- One from a Community Representative
- Small (Passport Size) Photograph
- Completed Application (Postmarked no later than April 19, 2019)
- NOTE: Applicants may submit a scholarship application annually; former
Scholarship Recipients also may reapply.
Applications will not be considered unless all required information is mailed by April 19, 2019 to: Scholarship Committee, Armenian International Women’s Assn., LA, 2311 Roscomare Road, #10, Los Angeles, CA 90077.
Nicole Nishanian, President of AIWA-LA, stated: “Our scholarship program was created by Hasmik Mgrdichian, one of the founders of the Los Angeles Affiliate. The scholarships are a tribute to her memory and continue to recognize her legacy to assist in the education of young Armenian women.”
The Scholarship Committee, is chaired by Lily Balian with committee members Hermine Janoyan, Cindy Norian, Diane Cabraloff, Diana Hekimian, Houry Aposhian, and Lysa Gregorian, granddaughter of Hasmik Mgrdichian. They are committed to reaching out to all California universities and colleges to inform women students of the opportunity to submit an application for the scholarship awards. Flyers and notices are being sent to Armenian Schools, organizations and churches.
In addition to the Hasmik Mgrdichian Scholarship Awards from the Los Angeles Affiliate, other scholarships ranging from $500 to $5,000 are available through the AIWA International Board in Watertown, Massachusetts. Applications are available in all fields, ranging from mathematics and architecture to government, public administration, psychology, art and design, diplomacy, and in the sciences. For further information, email: email@example.com.
Applications for all AIWA scholarships for the 2019-2020 academic year can be downloaded from the AIWA website: www.aiwainternational.org or through the Los Angeles Affiliate website: www.aiwala.org. Young women are urged to apply for both scholarships.
The deadline for applications this year is April 19, 2019. Winners will be announced in late May or early June.