General Movses Hakobian
General Movses Hakobian

YEREVAN — According to a senior Armenian military official, the ceasefire agreement that halted heavy fighting in and around Nagorno-Karabakh last week was initiated by Azerbaijan.

“We should note that it was Azerbaijan, rather than the Armenian side, which made the ceasefire proposal by appealing to the chief of the Russian Federation’s General Staff,” General Movses Hakobian, a deputy chief of the Armenian army’s General Staff, told RFE/RL’s Armenian service (Azatutyun.am) in an interview.

“We must also conclude that once again the Armenian soldier again forced the enemy into a ceasefire,” Hakobian stated.

The fighting broke out early on April 2 when the Azerbaijani army attacked Armenian positions at northern and southern sections of the Karabakh “line of contact.” The large-scale offensive involving tanks, artillery and helicopters was unprovoked and aimed at seizing at least some territory in and around Karabakh.

On April 3, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry said that it has “unilaterally suspended counteroffensive and retaliatory measures against the enemy.” The Armenian side dismissed the claim as an “information trap.”

The ceasefire agreed between the chiefs of the general staffs of the armed forces of Armenia and Azerbaijan in Moscow on April 5 put an end to the worst escalation of violence in the conflict zone since the 1994 truce.

Hakobian, who in the past also served as Nagorno-Karabakh’s defense chief, said that he believed “the enemy will draw conclusions from its actions. If it again attempts to resolve the Karabakh conflict in such a way, our response will be tougher and stricter.”

According to the senior military official, the Armenian intelligence had the relevant data on the Azerbaijani aggressive plans: “But the border of the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic is quite long and it was, of course, difficult to predict at what time and where the attacks would be launched.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sign Up for Our Newsletters

Get notified of the latest updates from MassisPost.

You May Also Like

Nagorno-Karabakh FM Receives Personal Representative of OSCE Chairman-in-Office

STEPANAKERT — On February 3, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Nagorno…

MP Garo Paylan Threatened by Nationalist Lawmaker Over Genocide Remarks

ANKARA (Bianet.org) — Independent member of Turkish parliament Ümit Özdag has threatened…

Armenian Genocide Recognition Bill submitted to Turkish Parliament

ANKARA — Istanbul MP Sebahat Tuncel of Turkey’s pro-Kurdish Peoples’ Democratic Party…

Alexander Lapshin Exposes Baku’s Secret Plan to Exchange Him with Azerbaijani Captives

YEREVAN — The authorities of Azerbaijan tried to reach an agreement with…