STEPANAKERT — Two Armenian and at least one Azerbaijani soldiers were killed on Thursday in continuing ceasefire violations along “the line of contact” around Nagorno-Karabakh.

The Karabakh Armenian military said two of its soldiers, Ararat Khanoyan and Ashot Asoyan, died while repelling an Azerbaijani assault on their outpost in northern Karabakh. A statement released by it claimed that the Azerbaijani side suffered “numerous casualties” and abandoned a “large quantity of special weaponry and technical means” during the retreat. It did not elaborate.

The deadly truce violations come just two days after Armenian Defense Minister Seyran Ohanian inspected Armenian frontline positions around Karabakh. The Karabakh Defense Army said the visit was part of efforts to thwart increased cross-border incursions by Azerbaijani troops.

On Thursday Ohanian visited Armenian army units deployed along Armenia’s border with Azerbaijan’s Nakhichevan exclave. The army reportedly moved forward its outposts at a section of that mountainous frontier in June. According to news publications close to the Armenian military, roughly 100 square kilometers of neutral or contested territory was placed under Armenian control as a result.

Some 20 soldiers from both sides have been killed in shooting incidents so far this year.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Sign Up for Our Newsletters

Get notified of the latest updates from MassisPost.

You May Also Like

Genocide Scholars Urge Germany to Acknowledge the Armenian Genocide

BERLIN — In a letter addressed to Norbert Lammert, President of the…

Paylan and Günay Meet with S.D.H.P Leadership in South America

Members of the Turkish National Assembly, Ebru Günay and Garo Paylan, representing…

John Evans: Time for International Community to Welcome Artsakh Into the Community of Nations

WASHINGTON, DC (Armradio) — It is time for the international community to…

Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan Launches Crack-Down on Media Disinformation

YEREVAN (RFE/RL) — Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan on Thursday threatened to respond…