The Armenian Council of America PAC sent a letter addressed to Barack Obama congratulating him on his reelection as the President of the United States. The letter also noted the community’s hopes that the administration will address issues of great importance for Armenian Americans. The following is the letter in its entirety:
Dear President Obama,
The Armenian Council of America-PAC (ACA-PAC) would like to take this opportunity to congratulate you on your momentous victory in the 2012 Presidential Elections.
Your plans set forth to recover the economy and the urgency to restore faith in the American working class has evoked a new sense of confidence that was lost in the American people during these harsh economic times of home foreclosures, unemployment and poverty.
We applaud your conviction in giving every American a chance to succeed and ensuring that healthcare will be available and affordable for the middle class and low-income families.
As a proud Armenian-American political organization that endorsed you for your second term as President, we hope that in the next four years your Administration will address the following issues that are of great importance to Armenian-Americans:
1. Urge Azerbaijan to refrain from hostile rhetoric and actions against the Republics of Armenia and Karabagh and seek a lasting settlement for Nagorno-Karabakh conflict based upon America’s founding commitment to the principles of democracy and self determination.
2. Urge Turkey to reopen its border with Armenia without any preconditions and re-emphasize the need for Turkey to come to terms with its own history and accept the Genocide as a historical fact.
3. Utilize the proper English term of Genocide in reference to the Genocide of Armenians by the Young Turks in the Ottoman Empire.
4. Have your foreign policy team pay more attention to issues of governance and development in the Republic of Armenia.
5. Make the safety and security of Armenians and other vulnerable minority communities affected by the Syrian conflict a priority.
We are looking forward to your leadership in these matters for the next four years and beyond.