The Republic of Armenia is planning to organise a grand celebration in September this year in the presence of Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa, to commemorate 360 years of the Armenians’ existence in Chennai, The New Indian Express reports.
The Armenian presence in Chennai began to increase since 1688. The first known house of an Armenian at Fort St George is called Admirality House today.
The Marmalong Bridge now called ‘Maraimalai Adilagar Bridge’ was originally built in 1726-28 by the Armenian Merchant Mr. Cogia Petrius Uscan at his own expense.
The Armenian Church, constructed in 1712 and reconstructed in 1772, is one of the oldest churches of the Indian subcontinent.
In addition to all the works done by them, The Armenian constitution project for the Armenians named Vorogait Paratz was written in Chennai by Hakob Shah Amirian and the Madras Group.
The Armenians settled here not only for trade, but also built several historical artifacts which are famous worldwide