Citing the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry, the Trend news agency reported that the soldier, Mamed Azadaliyev, was shot dead on Monday just northeast east of the disputed territory. The ministry said Azerbaijani troops deployed there came under fire from Armenian positions before “silencing the enemy.”
The area has been the most volatile section of the frontline over the past year. More than a dozen soldiers from both sides have been killed since June.
There was no immediate reaction to the Azerbaijani report from the Armenian side.
Military authorities in Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh reported earlier in the day that two Karabakh Armenian soldiers were wounded in other frontline sections on Friday. They said both men required hospitalization.
One of the servicemen, Vartan Harutiunian, remained in the intensive care unit of a military hospital in Stepanakert on Monday.
The Armenian Defense Ministry accused Azerbaijan of deliberately breaking the ceasefire to scuttle international efforts to resolve the Karabakh dispute. Ministry spokesman Davit Karapetian said Baku is also thus trying to boost spirits in the Azerbaijani military.
The skirmishes highlight the persisting risk of another Armenian-Azerbaijani war. Azerbaijan’s leadership regularly threatens military action to win back Karabakh and Armenian-controlled territories surrounding it.
Khachkar Studios has released Masterclass #3, “Revitalizing Churches Worldwide,” anchored by the case study “Armenian…
WARSAW -- Poland has granted an extradition request from Armenia’s Prosecutor General’s Office and handed…
YEREVAN -- Armenia’s gross domestic product (GDP) grew by 6.7% in the second quarter of…
YEREVAN -- The Armenian government will allocate AMD 16.7 million to cover the costs of…
ZAGREB -- Armenian gymnast Artur Avetisyan has won the European championship title for the first…
YEREVAN– Dr. Mher Sahakyan, Founder and Director of the China-Eurasia Council for Political and Strategic…